Wednesday, December 25, 2013

CCXII: Favola di Natale


Every now and then on Christmas I re-post a link to a translation I made a life time or two ago of La Favola Di Natale, by Giovanni Guareschi. A Christmas myth of war, loss and reunion, written while the author was a prisoner of war in Germany. I started translating it in July of 2001 in the midst of personal turmoil, and put it online that October, as bombs began to fall on Afghanistan.

From my original introduction:
I hope this translation provides enjoyment, and something to think about. It is a reminder that the God of Peace and the god of War are continually reborn, and it always remains for us to choose which is ours.
Pace agli uomini di buona volontà.

So here it is, unearthed from the fossil strata of my website:
My full introduction:
The Text:

No comments:

Post a Comment