Sunday, June 17, 2012

Turtle, Day I Carving


After almost a months delay I was finally back this Sunday working on the first of three animal carvings for the recently re-landscaped Labyrinth at Teaneck Creek Conservancy. An afternoon's effort got me this far on the first carving. This turtle is going to be a little more compact than the (now stolen) previous one I did for the conservancy, The shell is a bit exaggeratedly domed and the head and arms more pulled in to try and make a stronger structure for a relatively weak wood (poplar) in a pretty high traffic location. I'm experimenting with coating the piece with light coat of latex based deck sealer after each day's work to try and slow drying and ultimately leave a  protective coat on the final surface, see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment